Friday, September 2, 2016

Friday's Guest features Trevann Rogers talking about heroes, Heroines and Villains

1. Do you write a single genre or do your fingers flow over the keys creating tales in many forms?
Does your reading choices reflect your writing choices?
Are there genres you wouldn’t attempt?
I read Urban Fantasy and humor mainly.  I’m always drawn to GLBT characters in any genre.  So it is logical that I write the kinds of stories I want to read.  Toss in my love of music and I’m a happy girl.

I would never try to write historical romance but I admire those authors who can.

2. Heroes, Heroines, Villains. Which are your favorite to write?
I enjoy writing my heroes.  They are men whom I love so I enjoy my time with them.  I get to create my “perfect man” who is, of course, far from perfect.

3. Heroes. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or plain imagination create the man you want every reader to love? Do they come before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?
My heroes are composites of traits that I find intriguing.  My ideas come from many places, such as a group of people I see who draw my attention, snippets of a song that bring a scene to mind, or something I read in the paper or see in a magazine.  I’m not sure which comes first, story or character.  Maybe they arrive in my brain together?

4. Heroines. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or imagination create the woman you want the reader to root for? Do they appear before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?
Since I write mostly male/male stories, it's unusual for women to spark a story idea so they arrive to flesh out something else in the story.  I also must admit that sometimes outfits are the spark for a female character.  I see something beautiful and wonder who would wear it.

5. Villains or villainesses or an antagonist, since they don’t always have to be the bad guy or girl. They can be a person opposed to the hero’s or heroine’s obtaining their goal. How do you choose one? How do you make them human?
The villain or antagonist is usually born after the hero and plot.  I have to know what traits I need him to have.  They also need a reason to behave as they do, beyond the current concrete objective. The reason makes them human.

6. What is your latest release? Who is the hero, heroine and or the villain? 
After Midnight, prequel to HOUSE OF THE RISING SON is due out September 22. The heroine is Jewell, a young vampire who dreams of house with a white picket fence that she shares with her lovers.  Ria, Jewell's girlfriend and the co-heroine, is also a vampire trying to find her place in the world after being disinherited for coming out.  Cheyenne (the hero of HOUSE OF THE RISING SON) is a incubus who wants to be a rock star. 

7. What are you working on now?
The novel I am writing now is the sequel to HOUSE OF THE RISING SON.  A year has passed and the hero, Cheyenne, is dragged deeper into the Incubi world when his father becomes ill.  I'm also working on a New Adult urban fantasy.

8. How can people find you?
I can be found at



2 comments:

Trevann said...

Thank you so much for having me! It's been a blast!

Janet Lane Walters said...

Thanks for being here. Good luck with your stories