Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Inspiration day -- More on Vogler

Vogler's second step on the journey is the Call to Action. What reading his book has done is to make me think about what I do either instinctively or by careful planning. I do work on several levels. To me this call is a trigger. What triggers my hero or heroine or both to take a step toward a goal and why they want to reach that goal. What triggers them to move. Is there a new man or woman in their view? Is there a problem that must be solved and are they the right ones to solve them? This sort of thing is what I use when I do the two sentence synopsis. A simple question stating the goal and can it be reached.

I'm very glad I dug this book from my shelves and I'll continue to look at the steps on the journey and see how they go with my own writing. Take the time and see if they fit into your writing ideas.

5 comments:

Taryn Kincaid said...

I have that book around here somewhere. I really should dig it out one of these days!

Yolanda said...

Great information and tip! Helps you keep sight of the story as it progresses

Liz said...

My son is trying is hand at writing a sci-fi novel - being unemployed and all - I read some and told him he was telling instead of showing - he asked me what I meant and I pulled out your and Jane's book Being Your Own Critique Partner and told him to read the first chapter - he did and said "oh I get it now"

Janet Lane Walters said...

I'll let Jane know.

Malcolm R. Campbell said...

Vogler's book is inspirational, and a great help, as long as we don't let it become a strict recipe.

Nice post.

Malcolm