Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday's Writer's tip -- Questions to ask self about revisions

Revision is a vital part of the writing process. The draft is done. Now what? Tome for revisions. Before beginning there are some questions that answering can make the process easier.

!. Am I saying exactly what I mean?
2. Have I found the best way to say it?
3. Have I glossed over this section or written in haste without considering the above questions?
4. Have I taken a wrong turn at some point?
5. Can I slow down and make sure my intentions are clear?

By asking these questions before beginning the revisions can help make the story as perfect as it can be at that time. As you grow as a writer going back to some of those earlier written stories can be painful. You might feel the need to revise them again. Unless there's a new edition being contemplated, you can't but the next and the next stories you write will benefit from what you learned as you revise each story.

2 comments:

Shoshanna Evers said...

Perfect timing for this blog post as I am almost finished with the first draft of my current WIP!

Liz said...

I have a love/hate relationship with revision. Revision means I've completed manuscript - LOVE but it also means I still have a lot of work to do - Hate.
And yesterday I realized I rush the ending to Love By Design.