Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thursday's Interview T.D. Jones

Today's interview is with TD Jones who writes humor. I've done one light romance in the humor vein and know how hard the tone is to maintain.


1. What's your genre or do you write in more than one? I love to write humor which always involves romance and family drama. I don’t really try to put myself in a genre, due to I love writing and want to try it all.

2. Did you choose your genre or did it choose you? It seems the character decides it. Every character comes to me first and I just follow their lead.

3. Is there any genre you'd like to try? Or is there one you wouldn't? I would love to write a science fiction one but not sure that will ever happen since I don’t like science. I would love to have a character that is so smart she has no common sense about her and gets into all kinds of trouble.


4. What fiction do you read for pleasure? I’m so into the Stephanie Plum series due to I can relate to Janet Evanovich’s humor in the books.

5. Tell me a bit about yourself and how long you've been writing, I’ve been writing all my life but just as a hobby. I’ve always had a dream of becoming a published author and finally about two years ago I had a long talk with myself and decided to either let that dream die and move on or really take it serious and work hard at getting something published. I received four contracts for my books within the last year so I’m glad to say my dream is not dead.

6. Which of your characters is your favorite? Will Tanner from Cockeyed Cowboy. I loved writing from his point of view due to it was fun thinking like a man and using man words. I like him so much he is going to be a series.

7. Are there villains in your books and how were they created? I don’t really have villains in my book. My books are pretty light and fun with some kind of drama but nothing so serious that you don’t end up going away with a good feeling about the world.

8. What are you working on now? I’m working on edits for my Salem’s World and Wrangled Hearts which will both come out early next year. I’m also working on the Cockeyed Cowboy Series

9. What's your latest release and how did the idea arrive? My last release was Hot Days and it has two stories in it. Who Put Grandpa In The Garden! and Cockeyed Cowboy From Crockett County.

I will tell you how I came up with the Grandpa idea. A friend was telling me about how his family had a family member’s ashes still at the house after many years of his death. No one could decide what to do with him so he was still in the house. It got to me to thinking what if someone cleaned out the house and found that box and decided to put the contents in the garden not knowing it was a dead relative.

10. Tell me about your latest book and how it came about. Enclose the opening of the book around 400 words. My latest book will be release on July 23rd by Melange-books and is an anthology with several great authors. It is called Curious Hearts and my story is called “Just A Little Too Late.”

All the stories in the book our about first loves and if we got a chance to go back would we do anything different to hold on to that love.

Excerpt:


Sujo Crane glanced at the white dress strategically placed in the corner of her bedroom. In another month she would be Mrs. Sujo Monroe. She wiped a tear from her cheek.
“Sujo, are you there?”
“Yes, I’m here,” Sujo said. She had been on the phone with him for over an hour. He had been explaining the accident and the details of the funeral. She felt she was still in shock over the news.

“Please, say you’ll come,” Jason Beckman said, “For Gerard.”

Sujo let out a loud sigh. “I’m really busy with the wedding and all. I just don’t know if I can make it.” She knew she wasn’t being all that truthful; there was really nothing else to do for the wedding. It was going to be a simple affair with family and friends. Neither she nor Mark was into big weddings with all the crazy details that went along with them. So there was really no details left, she knew in her heart the real reason was she wasn’t sure if she could handle facing Jason again after all these years. She thought she had closed that door to her heart but when she picked up the phone and heard his voice, emotions of the past came to the surface.

“Too busy to come to an old friend’s funeral. That doesn’t sound like you…the old Sujo I knew would drop everything for a friend.” Jason paused and then said, “Hell, bring what’s his name too…just come.”

“His name’s Mark Monroe.” Sujo glanced over at the wedding dress again. She remembered the day she tried it on. It fit perfect, no alternations needed at all. It was as if it was made for her. Not a thing was wrong with it…just like Mark. She wasn’t the type of girl to like perfect. She was the girl who liked the quirky side of life. She was the girl who did the opposite of her friends, never fitting into that perfect mold. So it was surprising to her and everyone else that she went for the perfect guy who always did everything right and had his…their life planned out perfect for them down to the day they would start trying to have kids.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me here today. T.D. Jones

Victoria Wooldridge said...

Terrific! I really enjoyed reading this interview, and adding TD's work to my summer reading list. Thanks so much!

Mila Ramos said...

Oh my!!! The Grampa idea is wicked cool! Ashes in the garden?! 'Just a little too late' sounds good too!....Here i go breaking the bank again. Love it!

Wonderful interview hon!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice comemnts.

Nora Weston said...

Lovely interview! I enjoyed the excerpt too. :)

Jenny Twist said...

Great interview, Teresa
Jenny Twist

Mysti said...

Great interview TD!!

Your excerpt had me intrigued. Can't wait to read it...and you'll be on my blog next week :)