Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tuesday's Inspiration - Edits from Publisher


How do you feel when your manuscript comes back from the editor and you have to make the changes suggested with all those red and gren boxes? Do you cringe, take headache medication or look on this as a game?

Some people may thing I'm crazy but I really love it when I get the edits back from the publisher and have to go nearly blind looking at all the little green and red changes made. Why does this inspire me?

To me it's a game. How did I do this time? The last round of changes were made mostly for the  house's style. I breathed a sigh of relief. Then I saw those little glitches, mostly occurring when I must put a ? mark. Sometimes there was a period, sometimes a comma and sometimes a / line. I swear I go over the mss with a ruler to separate the lines so I only read one. There are also those little mispellings that are words, just not the words I wanted to use. This time three not even words got past the spell checker and also my ruler  trick.

Am I discouraged. Actually no, I feel in this game of revisions I'm the winner. Will a mss ever come back perfect. Doubtful but I'll keep playing the game.

What really inspires me about getting the edits back for the final time means there'll soom be another book out there to share with readers. Makes me inspired to move on to the story I'm currently spinning. What about you?

2 comments:

test said...

For me edits can be both scary and inspiring. Scary because of the deadlines, inspiring because the editor improves my work!

Janice Seagraves said...

I take a really deep breath and get on with it.