Friday, September 20, 2013

Friday's How She Does It with Michaela Rhua


We all know there are six elements of fiction. Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. I believe the first five lead to the sixth which for me is plot. What's your take on this>
 

 
 
1.      How do you create your characters? Do you have a specific method?
 
I don't have a specific method for creating characters. I wish I did! For the books I have written so far the characters have emerged slowly as I have worked on the book. Usually I get an idea for what he or she is like and go from there. Characters come to life over the course of the book and sometimes surprise you by revealing some of their back story - like in this book - Norah, Jorie's mother has a back story that is very relevant to Jorie.
 
2. Do your characters come before the plot? Do you sketch out your plot or do you let the characters develop the route to the end?

I don't have a straight answer to this. It depends really on the mood of the piece. Sometimes the character is there ready to start the story fully formed and other times I have a plot that flows and then the main characters come through. 
 
3. Do you know how the story will end before you begin? In a general way or a specific one?
I usually have an idea of how it might end. I try not to hold onto a specific end, just because I don't want to shoe horn the action into the ending I have in mind. I try to let it flow and see what shape the ending may take.
 
4. Do you choose settings you know or do you have books of settings and plans of houses sitting around?

For my first story Logan's Captive in The Enforcers I had a collection of picture that I collected on pinterest, just so I could get the description right. In Truth or Dare it was based on a club I went to one evening and looking around the place my mind began to spark with ideas. For me, it depends on how much of the setting I need to refer to within the story. In which case I will try to find images and store them to refer to for descriptions.

5. Where do you do your research? On line or from books?
Mostly online. On occasions I might see something in a magazine or newspaper. I am a visual person so images help inspire ideas.
 
 
6. Are you a draft writer or do you revise as you go along and why?
I am a draft writer for sure. I like to get it out onto the screen. Once it is complete I then try to revise. I am fortunate to have great friends in my critique group who will cast an eye over it for me and tell me what they think too.
 
 

I hope the above is okay. If you would like me to amend in anyway please let me know.

 

 
 
 

 

1 comment:

Janice Seagraves said...

I'm the same way. I have to get the book written down first as a first draft. Then revise, revise and revise.

Janice~