Friday, November 22, 2013

Friday's How She Does It featuring M. S. Kaye


Hi Janet,
Thanks for having me as a guest on your blog! Please see the below completed interview. The basic info and excerpt from the book are in the attached rtf file, and the cover art is attached as a jpg. Please let me know if you have any questions.
 
Melissa
 
1.      How do you create your characters? Do you have a specific method?
 I decide on the necessary characteristics to make the plot work, and then I create traits and a background that I think make for a more powerful story.
 
2. Do your characters come before the plot? Do you sketch out your plot or do you let the characters develop the route to the end?
 I have the plot laid out, but keep it mostly basic, allowing for changes as inspiration strikes.
 
3. Do you know how the story will end before you begin? In a general way or a specific one?
 Yes. Usually only generally.
 
4. Do you choose settings you know or do you have books of settings and plans of houses sitting around?
Sometimes the setting is a place I know, and sometimes it's all about research. It depends on what location is going to most help me tell the story in the way I want it to be told. (and yes, I do have books of house plans--I was in architecture school years ago.)
 
5. Where do you do your research? On line or from books?
 Everywhere!
 
6. Are you a draft writer or do you revise as you go along and why?
I'm a draft writer, but I try to have the plot pretty clear in my head so that the second draft isn't a complete tear-apart.

1 comment:

Melissa Keir said...

It's always wonderful to hear how other authors think and write!