Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Tuesday's Inspiration - More on the Writer's Eye

 As the Writer's Eye develops, suddenly there becomes a moment when he or she realizes the small detail tells more about the character than is evident. Sometimes just a small word or a phrase gives a moment that brings the character to life. Hands as gnarled as the roots of an oak brings to mind an old man who is strong, This image brings the reader to see the old man as more than just a character on the pages of a story.

This is the writer's Eye in action and something I strive for as I write. For me this usually comes in the revision part of the story, I write a rough draft in the fire of the moment following my careful outline until the story takes a direction I may not have planned but heading along a different road to reach the end. Revision is when I sit and think and visualize where the words I need are to be found. I'm not always successful but each time I work on a story the Writer's Eye finds new views to help with the story.

Every day, this is where I struggle. Honing the Writer's Eye until it sees clearly. How about you?

3 comments:

Melissa Keir said...

I think that we can only keep trying to get better. It's not that we are bad to begin but we are learning and growing!

Sandy said...

We can always get better, and in my case it takes a lot of time. lol

SherryGLoag said...

It's always fascinating - and encouraging - to read another author's approach to writing. Thanks for sharing.