Friday, April 11, 2014

Friday's How She Does It featuring Alisa Anderson #MFRWauthor

We all know there are six elements of fiction. Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. I believe the first five lead to the sixth which for me is plot. What's your take on this?

I'm inclined to agree with you. When you don't have a direction to take your characters to, the whole story falls flat.

1.      How do you create your characters? Do you have a specific method?
 A lot of times i base characters on people I've met. Sometimes they are people I want to meet someday. I use my instinct to determine each story's characters. I also want characters I can relate to. It's all about what feels right to me, and who I think might resonate with the audience.
2. Do your characters come before the plot?

Absolutely. I certainly love good plot, but if I can't root for the characters, most of the time it's a no go.
3. Do you know how the story will end before you begin? In a general way or a specific one?
   
4. Do you choose settings you know or do you have books of settings and plans of houses sitting around?

For me, it's a combination. I choose settings I know, but I love researching locations I have never been to and maybe hope to visit one day. It's a great fantasy element for me.
5. Where do you do your research? On line or from books?


Mostly online, but I have a massive book collection, both fiction and nonfiction and I will often use that as well. You also have to make sure you carefully verify all sources since there is such erroneous information on the internet. Yes, I love ebooks and the internet, but there is still nothing like opening a book.
6. Are you a draft writer or do you revise as you go along and why? Do you sketch out your plot or do you let the characters develop the route to the end?


Again, it's kind of all the above. I have a general plot summary that at times will see many revisions. My characters often talk to me however, and in the end, they are the ones who dictate where the story goes. I have tried to go around them and trust me. It doesn't work. Since I want to sleep at night, it's just easier to do what they say. *grins*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for having me today! -alisa