Friday, July 25, 2014

How She Does It featuring Elle Thorne #MFRWauthor




An alien soldier without emotions.
Finn is three quarters Asazi and one quarter human. He’s a lieutenant in the Asazi army and his desire is to be the best soldier he can. He’s spent a lifetime denying his human side, only to find out that now it makes him key to a mission on Earth. A mission that includes Marissa Sanchez, Target 41, a determined, smart-mouthed spitfire that brings out emotions his Asazi nature rejects.
A human woman with a target on her.
Marissa’s dream is to keep her restaurant from being seized by ruthless developers. She’s broke, out of options, has a deadline, and a cheating ex who offers to marry her and solve her financial problems. Everything changes when a guy named Finn saves her life and provides a completely different kind of option.
We all know there are six elements of fiction. Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. I believe the first five lead to the sixth which for me is plot. What's your take on this?
 To me the most important part of a story is WHO. Readers connect with characters. The other stuff can make it interesting, but if there’s no connection, there’s really no story.
1.      How do you create your characters? Do you have a specific method?
 My characters aren’t something I create. They’re always in my head, long before the story comes to fruition. They simply find themselves in the right story for them. I know in general who a character is, but the story fleshes them out in a way that I don’t foresee. In fact, though I am a plotter, I really don’t know exactly how a character will react until they are put in that position which merits a reaction.
2. Do your characters come before the plot?
 Probably. They lie in wait until the right plotline comes into play. Then they take over.
3. Do you know how the story will end before you begin? In a general way or a specific one?
   Generally, yes. I do know.
4. Do you choose settings you know or do you have books of settings and plans of houses sitting around?
No books of settings laying around. J Yet.
Some of the settings I know. A different planet is definitely something I don’t know. It springs from the mind.
5. Where do you do your research? On line or from books?
Online and in person.
6. Are you a draft writer or do you revise as you go along and why? Do you sketch out your plot or do you let the characters develop the route to the end?
Sketch out for sure, that way I don’t meander too much.



No comments: