Friday, February 20, 2015

Friday with Ginger Simpson Talking about Heroes, Heroines and Villains #BooksWeLove #MFRWauthor

1. Do you write a single genre or do your fingers flow over the keys creating tales in many forms? Does your reading choices reflect your writing choices? Are there genres you wouldn’t attempt?  

I'm a pantser, so what I write depends on the character who steps forward with a story.  Most are usually from the old west, with an historical romance to share, but I have written in other genres.  I don't think I'm suited for Erotica because of my humour, and a couple of reviews I received on my mystery said the story was predictable. I think I'll stick with westerns...they're what I do best.
2. Heroes, Heroines, Villains. Which are your favorite to write? Does one of these come easy and why?

I like writing heroines because I have always believed there is a lot of me in each story.  I identify best with someone of my own gender, and I never like being the bad guy.
3. Heroes. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or plain imagination create the man you want every reader to love? Do they come before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?

Believe it or not, my  heroine always comes with a hero.  I'm lucky that they usually have names and a title for their story. Ironically, the heroes usually have traits of someone in my family of the male persuasion.
4. Heroines. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or imagination create the woman you want the reader to root for? Do they appear before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?

Did I mention that I hear voices?  Really, I have a chorus of characters in my head, usually clammering for my attention. Their personalities follow the story lines they share...such as in Ellie's Legacy.  Ellie is the spoiled and tomboyish only child of a rancher.  She knows one day the place will be hers and is threatened by the handsome foreman her father hires.  She wants to prove to her Pa that she can do anything Tyler Bishop can do, but her heart and big mouth keep getting in her way.  
5. Villains or villainesses or an antagonist, since they don’t always have to be the bad guy or girl. They can be a person opposed to the hero’s or heroine’s obtaining their goal. How do you choose one? How do you make them human?

Sometimes circumstances keep your hero and heroine from achieving a goal, but I prefer to create a person with an agenda.   If the situation is believable and you use characteristics that readers may be experienced in their own lives, then they better identify with whomever the bad guy/girl is.  In Culture Shock, the villain is a serial killer who tries to come between the main characters, in my young adult, Shortcomings, besides the mean girls who taunts my heroine, she allows her "shortcoming" to define her.  In Sarah's Heart and Passion...of course it's another woman who has her sites locked on Wolf.  Haven't many of us been in the situation of dealing with competition?  :)
6. What is your latest release? Who is the hero, heroine and or the villain?

My latest release is Yellow Moon.  My heroine is Yellow Moon, a Lakota maiden, my hero is Thunder Eye of another Sioux tribe who meets Yellow Moon at a summer Sun Dance and earns her father's permission to wed he.r The Villian is Plenty Coup, a Crow warrior who kidnaps the bride-to-be in an attempt to make her his own wife.
7. What are you working on now?  My current WIP is titled, The Well.  My heroine is Harlee, my hero is Logan, and the antagonists are Logan's mother and Harlee's missing family.
8. How can people find you?
            Website:  http://www.gingersimpson.com
            Blog:  http://mizging.blogspot.com
            Twitter:  http://twitter.com/mizging

            Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mizging

No comments: