Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tuesday's Inspiration - based on a quote by John Hershey. #MFRWauthor #BooksWeLove


This quote from an essay by John Hershey intrigued me and made me think. Hope it does the same for you.  "Fiction is a clarifying agent. It makes truth plausible."

Now I don't write earth-shattering stories but I do write stories about people often seeking love. How can what I write be considered a clarifying agent. The characters in my stories often have problems faced by ordinary people. In writing about how they find love sometimes after being betrayed and sometimes by being the betrayer they must come to grips with those problems.

I have friends who write about women who have been battered or otherwise taken advantage. They also show how these women learn to trust again and to take their lives into their own hands.

Now I usually don't write about war and that kind of violence. The wars I fight are usually in fantasies and are magically resolved.

Still I write about people who can be considered normal or average and how they face what life throws them. Hopefully what I do is clarify for the readers how one finds love, how people learn to trust. Sometimes how these people do things that are wicked. There are always villains in stories, even if they are inside one of the characters.

No comments: