Friday, September 18, 2015

Friday - Tina Donahue - Talking About Heroes, Heroines and Villains #MFRWauthor #paranormal #Romanticcomedy

1.    Do you write a single genre or do your fingers flow over the keys creating tales in many forms? Does your reading choices reflect your writing choices? Are there genres you wouldn’t attempt?


I write in multiple genres. Keeps my juices flowing. I love historical, contemporary, paranormal, suspense, you name it.

I like to read just about everything except heavy-duty SciFi, where the story tends to read like a manual. Too dry and uninteresting for me. Probably does have a lot to do with what I write.

Heavy-duty SciFi is definitely one genre I’ll always avoid writing. J


2.    Heroes, Heroines, Villains. Which are your favorite to write?

I love a great hero. A guy who’s strong yet kind with a great sense of humor. Always a joy to write. I love strong heroines too. Feisty ladies who can’t be put down by anyone. And, I also like writing villains, especially psychopaths – you know, the kind without a conscience. Think Ted Bundy.

3.    Heroes. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or plain imagination create the man you want every reader to love? Do they come before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?

When I’m outlining my novels, I go online and look at photos of guys I think would be great in the role. I describe what I see in the photos. I could probably work from imagination, but then I wouldn’t get my eye candy fix.

They come while I’m plotting. I see scenes in my head when I’m thinking of a new novel. Don’t see the people exactly – more of what they’re doing, thinking.

4.    Heroines. How do you find them? Do pictures, real life or imagination create the woman you want the reader to root for? Do they appear before the plot or after you have the idea for the story?

Same as my heroes – go online to find women that match what I have in my mind. Or, if I don’t have any ideas, I can get some by looking at photos.

Imagination and life experience create the women I want readers to love.

Like the heroes, the heroines’ personalities come up while I’m plotting the story.


5.    Villains or villainesses or an antagonist, since they don’t always have to be the bad guy or girl. They can be a person opposed to the hero’s or heroine’s obtaining their goal. How do you choose one? How do you make them human?

They generally come about while I’m plotting the story. I know what the conflict will be, so the antagonists tend to pop up as I’m plotting.

Some of my antagonists have mellowed in my stories, but not all. If I am writing a villain, I like to write psychopathic ones – they have no conscience. I’ve read a lot of psychology books about the criminal mind. The public generally believes that a bad childhood leads to serial killing. Not true at all. Ted Bundy had a great home life, a very devoted mother and stepfather. He killed because he liked to kill. Gave him a sense of power – holding someone’s life in his hands. Those kinds of monsters fascinate me. I like to explore what makes them tick.

6.    What is your latest release? Who is the hero, heroine and or the villain?

Surrendering to the Beast, book two in my Taming the Beast series – erotic paranormal/romantic comedy.

My hero is Daemon, a satyr who wants to look fully human. He goes to From Crud to Stud, a makeover service for supernatural beings in New Orleans. There, he meets Heather (heroine) who happens to be a good fairy – no bad thoughts, words, or deeds, ever. Heather’s one end of the spectrum, bad boy Daemon is the other. Watching them come together is like seeing worlds collide. Funny, sexy, romantic and in the end very sweet.

Since Surrendering to the Beast is a romantic comedy, it doesn’t have a villain, so to speak. The closest would be Zoe, a reformed demon who’s an enforcer at the service. She gives Daemon hell, but it’s all in fun.

7.    What are you working on now?

Book five of my Taming the Beast series and another erotic historical series.

8.    How can people find you?

My bio and links:

I’m an award-winning, bestselling novelist in erotic, paranormal, contemporary and historical romance for Kensington, Samhain Publishing, Ellora’s Cave, Siren Publishing, Booktrope, Luminosity, Decadent, and indie. Yay! Booklist, Publisher’s Weekly, Romantic Times and numerous online sites have praised my work, and trust me, I’m forever grateful for that. I’ve had my books reach finals in the EPIC competition, one title was named Book of the Year at a review site, and others have won awards in RWA-sponsored contests. I’m actually featured in the 2012 Novel & Short Story Writer’s Market. Talk about feeling like a freaking star. Before my writing career, I was the editor of an award–winning Midwestern newspaper and worked in Story Direction for a Hollywood production company. Outside of being an admitted and unrepentant chocoholic, I’ve flown a single-engine plane (scary stuff), rewired an old house using an electricity for dummies book, and have been known to moan like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally whenever I’m eating anything Mexican or Italian. Yeah, I like to eat (burp).

You can check me out here – yes, I am everywhere!  J

Amazon author page: http://amzn.to/1ChWFkO
My page at TRR: http://bit.ly/1vb7eEc
EC Author Page: http://bit.ly/1Dh9wor
Samhain Author Page: http://bit.ly/1Bvw6mL
Sweet ‘n Sexy Divas: http://bit.ly/1ChWN3K

Romance Books 4 US: http://bit.ly/1JPtfeS

3 comments:

Tina Donahue said...

Thanks for hosting me. :)

Kate Hill said...

Enjoyed the interview!

Janet Lane Walters said...

Tina, Thanks for being here. Kate thanks for the visit,