Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Wednesday's Writer's Tip - Craftsmanship Part 1 #MFRWauthor #Writing


When I first read abou regional novels versus universal novels I wasn't sure I understood. In Structuring Your Novel :From basic idea to finished manuscript after several readings I understood. and was able to provide this to my own stories.

A regional novel is one that's situated in a particular region about events that can only happen in that place. The writers mention Gone With the Wind as being this type of book. When thinking about my won stories, my fantasy novels mostly fit this description since they can only happen on the world I've created. The elements of magic couldn't happen here.

A universal matter may be set in a particular area but the same things can happen in other places. They mention Madam Bovary. Most of my contemporary novels, though I've chosen a place either real or a town invented for the story but what happens between the characters can happen in other places as well. For example there are hospitals and medical personnel in many places and people can fall in love in my places or in the other places.

This classifying only refers to  settings, events or time periods. All novels can havea universal theme such as intolerance and justice as well as a long list of other themes. So look at your stories and try to decide where they fit in the scheme of things. Knowing can help the writing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oops. Eclectic Writer. Use affect not effect. Quick ... change it.