Friday, July 29, 2016

Friday - A Visit from Jude Pittman and Jamie Hill as a team #MFRWauthor #writing

  
Jude is up first

1. What were you in your life before you became a writer? Did this influence your writing?
Hmmm, according to the Facebook “What were you in your past life” questionnaire I just took, I was, of course, A Witch – just like my ancestor. 
As far as in this past life, I’ve been a writer since I started writing poetry to my mother in grade school.

2 Are you genre specific or general? Why? I don't mean genres like romance, mystery, fantasy etc. There are many subgenres of the above.
I’m fairly consistently specific with writing mystery/romantic suspense.  With Sisters of Prophecy the subject matter – my great, great, great etc. grandmother who was a prophet in Britain reputedly a witch, took the book along some paranormal lines, but with me, there’s always got to be a mystery involved.

3. Did your reading choices have anything to do with your choice of a genre or genres?
Absolutely. I grew up in rural Alberta at a time when reading material wasn’t so easily available to us on the small farms, and I started reading my mom’s Agatha Christie books at a fairly young age, fell in love with the genre and have been a mystery, and eventually a romantic suspense fan all my life.

4. What's your latest release?
Sisters of Prophecy, Ursula, a historical time-travel suspense co-written with author Gail Roughton.

5. What are you working on now?
New Directions, a mystery/romantic suspense co-written with Jamie Hill, taking the Kelly McWinter PI stories in a new direction – and with a terrific romantic suspense writer partner.

6. Where can we find you?
 In addition to writing I am also the publisher at Books We Love Ltd. so you can always find me there.

http://bookswelove.net/authors/pittman-jude/


Here's Jamie


1. What were you in your life before you became a writer? Did this influence your writing?
 
I have never *not* been a writer. I started at age ten, writing novels in spiral notebooks. I remember letting my fifth grade teacher read one, and she said it was 'interesting'. haha! They were total crap, but I appreciate that she didn't dampen my enthusiasm. In high school I wrote scripts for my favorite TV shows. Somewhere around the age of thirty I picked up the writing again but didn't get published until I was forty-five.
 
Having said all that, I have had several careers in my life including hair dresser, administrative assistant, and childcare provider (my longest job, for twenty-one years, which coincided with raising my children.) I currently work in a bustling orthopedic surgery practice scheduling surgeries and working with patients on insurance and financial issues. Being so busy keeps my mind focused during the day. In the evenings and on weekends I like to unwind by watching some TV and creating my own stories.
 
 
2 Are you genre specific or general? Why? I don't mean genres like romance, mystery, fantasy etc. There are many subgenres of the above.
 
I would say I'm fairly genre specific. I only write contemporary, I've never been able to master the research needed to write historical fiction. Although I did write one story set in the 1970's, and that was great fun because I was growing up then and remember a lot of the fads (including avocado colored appliances!)
 
I write either straight romance or romantic suspense, as I love a touch of mystery, but there has to be a romance in there too.

 
3. Did your reading choices have anything to do with your choice of a genre or genres?
 
Growing up I was all about the bodice rippers and mysteries. I have to believe that influenced what I like to write myself, romance and romantic suspense.
 
4. What's your latest release?
 
Cover of Darkness is the third book in my Witness Security series, it was released earlier this year.
 
 
5. What are you working on now?
 
I am playing with the fourth and final book in the WS series, Darkest Before Dawn. At the same time I'm actively co-authoring a book with my friend Jude Pittman, New Directions, which is the first book in our new McWinter Confidential series. She created the character of Kelly McWinter and I'm bringing my own private investigator into the mix. We think it will be great fun, and a great read.
 

6. How can two people speak with one voice?
 
It's interesting when you first start out, finding the rhythm. One of us will write a segment, the other will edit it and add another segment. I was pretty heavy-handed when we started, admittedly guilty of trying to make all the characters sound like me. haha She gave me a couple of virtual hand slaps and when I realized what I was doing, I backed off. I think we've found a smooth system now!
 
7.  Where can we find you?
 
At my publisher's website, Books We Love: http://bookswelove.net/authors/hill-jamie/

8 comments:

Ann Herrick said...

Very interesting to read about writing collaboratively!

Janet Lane Walters said...

I find it fascinating. Though I did a non-fiction book with Jane, we each did our own chapters and then edited each other's.

BWL Publishing Inc. said...

It really helps keep you from being lazy. When you have a partner telling you they are waiting for your next section in order to move on with theirs you tend to drag yourself to the keyboard and before you know it you're fingers are flying and you're happily anticipating sending this section along to your partner. I love writing with Jamie because we send each other small sections at a time and then anxiously wait for the next installment from your partner. Jamie is fast, and she keeps me focused -- a problem I have because with the publishing stuff it's very easy for me to get distracted with other stuff and before I know it weeks have gone by. Not this time, in just a very short time we've written a lot and according to Jamie we will definitely meet our September deadline. The book is better too because the fast pace really builds up the suspense, it just kind of happens naturally.

Janet Lane Walters said...

I'm really waiting for this book to arrive. You and Jamie are among my favorite BWL authors

BWL Publishing Inc. said...

Thank you Janet, having that kind of feedback from an awesome writer like yourself really means a lot. We're excited for this release as well. Jude

Sheila Claydon said...

I so admire that you can write together like that. I really think it would be beyond me. Interesting that it makes you work faster too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hosting us Janet, and thanks to everyone who stopped by. Writing together is fun for me, as Jude said it really does help to prod each other along, LOL The new book is going to be a fun read and the start of a great new series!

Sydell Voeller said...

An interesting (double) interview. The process of coauthoring has always intrigued me.