Friday, January 20, 2017

Friday's Guest - featuring Joan Yarmey-Donaldson - Who She Was Before #MFRWauthor #Mysteries #historical

1.      What were you in your life before you became a writer? Did this influence your writing?
I have worked at a variety of jobs in my life: bank teller, press operator, bookkeeper, prospector, and meat wrapper to name a few. I began my writing career with travel and historical articles. I then progressed into travel books about the Canadian provinces of Alberta and British Columbia, the Canadian territory of the Yukon, and the state of Alaska. When I wrote my first mystery novel, I made my main character a travel writer. She runs into a mystery every time she is working on articles for travel magazines.



2 Are you genre specific or general? Why? I don't mean genres like romance, mystery, fantasy etc. There are many subgenres of the above.
I am what I call a cross-genre writer. My mystery novels combine travel and romance with the mystery, my sci-fi novels include mystery and romance, and my historical novels also have romance and travel in them.



3.      Did your reading choices have anything to do with your choice of a genre or genres?
I love to read mystery novels; I like surprise endings and I am disappointed when I have figured out the ending part way through the book. So when I began fiction writing I wrote a mystery.


4. What's your latest release?
My publisher is bringing out a Canadian Historical Brides Series to celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary. There will be twelve books, each one based on a piece of history that took place in each of the ten provinces plus The Yukon and The Northwest Territories/ Nunavuk. I wrote a novel set in 1896, the year that gold was discovered in The Yukon, the year before the great Klondike Gold Rush began.


5. What are you working on now? I am researching another historical novel and outlining another mystery. My sister and I wrote a holiday romance that came out last fall and we are discussing another one.


6. Where can we find you?

My website is: www.joandonaldsonyarmey.com

1 comment:

J.Q. Rose said...

Congrats on your new release, Joan. The series sounds so interesting. And the Yukon evokes images of romance for me. When you travel, do you travel in an RV, plane, train? What fun. We love to travel too. Best wishes!!