Friday, January 13, 2017

Friday's Guest - Victoria Chatham - Who She Was Before #MFRWauthor #writing

1. What were you in your life before you became a writer? Did this influence your writing?

I’ve always been a writer since I could hold a pencil, but along the way I’ve been many things from a groom in a hunt stables to wife, mother, and grandmother. As far as an actual career is concerned, I’ve mostly worked in administrative or public relations positions. I think the organization needed for administrative work influenced the way I organize my writing, and I know meeting many, many people has given me insight when I’ve needed it for my characters.


2 Are you genre specific or general? Why? I don't mean genres like romance, mystery, fantasy etc. There are many subgenres of the above.

I mostly write historical romantic fiction, but I have also written contemporary western romance. I have many ideas and plots for just about every genre except fantasy and science fiction. I’m not a fast writer so I don’t know how many of these books will ever actually get written.


3. Did your reading choices have anything to do with your choice of a genre or genres?

Yes, definitely. I loved the Regency romances of Georgette Heyer and was so influenced by that era that when I started writing novels that was my first choice. I also love everything western, especially books by Linda Lael Miller and Jo Goodman, which brought me to write my western romance, Loving That Cowboy.


4. What's your latest release?

My publisher, Books We Love, is promoting the Canadian Historical Brides series, one bride for every province and territory to celebrate Canada’s history and 150th birthday in 2017. My book is Brides of Banff Springs, set in Banff, Alberta. I loved writing this book. Banff is not too far from where I live, so I made several day trips and spent a couple of weekends there for my research. It’s such a beautiful area it I sometimes forgot what I was there for.


5. What are you working on now?

My next book will be the third in my Berkeley Square Regency series, His Unexpected Muse. The first two in the series had some quite adventurous action scenes in them, but this book will be a little quieter with an unusual hero/heroine. They are two characters from His Dark Enchantress, the first book in the series. He is not the strong, athletic alpha male, she is not the usual beautiful and enigmatic heroine. They intrigued me when I was writing that first book and I decided I had to write about them, too.


6. Where can we find you?


No comments: