Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Tuesday - The Writer's Life - False Starts #MFRWauthor #writing #beginnings


Now the fun beguns. You have the characters and where they are set. Now it's time to begin. The general plot is in hand since you know what your characters want and the way they will try to obtain them. So you begin. I don't know about most writers but I usually write the opening scene three or four and sometimes more times.

The first line is what's important and considering what kind of story you're writing makes you start and then start again. Does this sound like a romance, mystery, fantasy, action, suspense. My first sentences are usually boring when they are first set on the paper. Then I have to consider so much. After all those tries to have the sentence make sense, show the genre, make the character seem alive, the sentence is finally dow.

But a lot of words must follow this first sentence so I sit and write without stopping to think until I have part of a scene, Then I go back and tear it apart, And rewrite and rewrite until this bit seems to flow.

The beginning of a book has many things needed to be shown. The characters and hints to their goals. The kind of story that will take place. A lot of hints as to what will happen next. Hard to get this all done. But finally you have it then comes more fun. Where do you go from here?

No comments: