Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Wednesday's Writer's Tip - Being Wrong is Okay. #MFRWauthor #Writing

Once again and for the next who knows how many weeks, Dwight V. Swain will be my source of things to talk about.

What happens ehre is something i never thought about. I had that urge to write and that's what I did. One of my first books was a cozy mystery and the first editor became upset because the murder didn't happen immediately. The story sets up the reasons someone had to kill the victim. She was not a good person and many people wanted her dead. The book had to be written this way and I've earned a lot with the story.

To some people I was wrong but I stuck to my way of telling the story That's happened with a few more of my stories. I didn't let the opinions of others get in the way of my story. That's what you have to do. This is your story and you're the one whose story you're telling. There are a lot of people with opinions and they won't hesitate mentioning. Once I wrote a story where one of the women, a nurse was something of a slut. One editor says nurses wouldn't be like that. But she'd never worked in a hospital and had no idea that nurses fit the entire spectrum of human behavior. I stuck to my way of telling the story. Someone bought the story and though the character wasn't a main one. The character never had such comments from writers.

So. not that you totally ignore the opinions of others, if you can use something they say, then do it. Always remember this is your story and the urge to write it yours.

No comments: