Friday, June 30, 2017

Friday's Guest - Rosemary Morris talking about writing style #MFRWauthor #

We all know there are six elements of fiction. Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. I believe the first five lead to the sixth which for me is plot. What's your take on this?
1.      How do you create your characters? Do you have a specific method?

I write historical fiction. First I search for appropriate names. I then fill in  detailed character profiles When I finish them I know what they look like, their history, their likes and dislikes and whether they have any eccentricities.
2. Do your characters come before the plot?
 No, while reading historical non-fiction something gives me an idea for the plot. 

3. Do you know how the story will end before you begin? In a general way or a specific one?
   
 When writing a story I like to be surprised by the characters and the action so I don't plot it in detail, but I have general idea of how it will end.

4. Do you choose settings you know or do you have books of settings and plans of houses sitting around?
With the exception of Tuesday's Child, set in Brussels between Napoleon's escape from Elba and the  Battle of Waterloo, and Yvonne Lady of Cassio, for which I created a county, I am familiar with the geographical areas in my novels. The stately homes described in my novels are based on visits to, for example, Hatfield House where Princess Elizabeth learned that she had become the first Queen Elizabeth of England.  

5. Where do you do your research? On line or from books?

I visit places of historical interest including museums, read extensively and research online.
6. Are you a draft writer or do you revise as you go along and why? Do you sketch out your plot or do you let the characters develop the route to the end?

I belong to a constructive online Hstorical Fction group and to a Writers' Group at which I can read up to 2,000 words and receive helpful advice, so I revise as I go along. When I write, I make notes to ensure I tie up all the loose ends in the final chapter. I allow my characters some liberty on their route but rein them in when necessary.

 7. Where can we find you on the net?

You can find me at:

www. rosemarymorris.co.uk


You can also send me a friend request on Facebook.

My novels are availavle as e-books and paper backs from www.amazon.com  www.amazon.co.uk  and other amazon sites.

No comments: