Friday, September 22, 2017

Friday's Guest - Stuart West #MFRWAuthor #writing #YA

We all know there are six elements of fiction. Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. I believe the first five lead to the sixth which for me is plot. What's your take on this?
Janet, for me it varies for each different genre. For instance, for my latest book, the YA ghost story, murder mystery, Peculiar County, I had a very specific time and place in mind--a small Kansas town in the mid-sixties. And I had an idea for the lead character, a fifteen year old tomboy, daughter of the local mortician, torn between other-worldly happenings around her and her father's starkly scientific approach to life. Once I had that set, the plot unravelled on its own. So, yes, this book definitely followed the theory you laid out.

Other books? Not so much. For instance, in the Zach and Zora comic mystery series (the third one, Nightmare of Nannies, out in October) started with a dare to write the dumbest, most vain and vapid lead character ever. Everything fell into place after that.
1.      How do you create your characters? Do you have a specific method?
 No method. As I said above, I'm not beyond creating a character out of a dare. (Oddly enough he's a lotta fun to write, too!). Other characters I crib from taking traits here, inserting habits there, eavesdropping on people, dreams, random thoughts, lots of "What If" questions. You name it.
2. Do your characters come before the plot?
Most of the time. Not in Chili Run. Chili Run was hatched from a silly nightmare, the kind that seems deadly serious at the time, and one probably born from a particularly potent batch of chili consumed the night before. I had no idea what my lead character would be like until I started writing (in the dream, of course, it was me). But Chili Run was the exception to the rule. Once I get a solid character, they practically write themselves.

3. Do you know how the story will end before you begin? In a general way or a specific one?
   
Never! Just like the reader, I'm along for the magical mystery ride! During the course of the book, I'll get a better idea, but a lot of times, that changes. I've saved many a character from the gallows and have even changed the identity of mystery murderers before book's end. The fun part of writing!
4. Do you choose settings you know or do you have books of settings and plans of houses sitting around?
Nothing's planned, at least to the point of being put down on paper. Although, for Dread and Breakfast (my psycho-thriller taking place in a bed & breakfast joint), I actually had to sit down and chart out a blueprint of the building. The place was so integral to the interconnected plot-lines, practically a character in itself, I had to have it firmly in mind at all times.

5. Where do you do your research? On line or from books?
On line, of course! I don't know how in the world ye olde writers used to do it! For my one historical paranormal tale, Ghosts of Gannaway, I actually researched through a stack of books. Took more time than the writing! Never again.

6. Are you a draft writer or do you revise as you go along and why? Do you sketch out your plot or do you let the characters develop the route to the end?

Draft writer! The first draft flies by, practically a subconscious race toward the end. Lots of fun and always surprising as the characters dictate what happens. Then comes the drudgery of going back through (Ugh. Did I actually write that?) and trying to make sense of it (Ye gads! What was I thinking?).

No comments: